In my weekly search for a carbo-loading meal for my marathon training husband, I came across a recipe on http://bevcooks.com/ for Portabella Mushroom & Kale Stroganoff. It looked delicious, but had a few ingredients that didn’t fit into our vegan lifestyle. So I revamped it and it turned out great.
Portabella Mushroom Stroganoff:
* 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 portobello mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
* 1 Tsp paprika
* 1 Tbs arrowroot powder
* 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
* 1 Tbs. tomato paste
* 1 bunch chopped kale/spinach mix ( you could use any leafy green you like)
* 1 bay leaf
* About 2-3 cups vegan noodles
* 8 oz vegan cream cheese ( you could also use vegan sour cream)
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook the noodles in boiling water and drain
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the onions and sauté for about 4 minutes, or until they start to soften. Add the garlic and mushrooms; season with the paprika and salt and pepper. Sauté another 3 minutes, until the mushrooms have softened and are darker in color.
Lightly dust the mushroom mixture with the arrowroot and toss to combine.
Add the stock and the tomato paste. Stir to sort of dissolve the paste. Add the greens and the bay leaf; simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
Add the noodles to the mushroom skillet.
Add the cream cheese and stir to combine. Remove the bay leaf and enjoy.
Makes 3-4 servings depending on how far the hubby needs to run